Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bad, Chiquita, bad!

It's my love for music and Latin American history coming together! The Chiquita banana company pulled a Rolling Stone move by hiring the Hell's Angels of Colombia, but on a much more worse scale, for protection in some of Colombia's hostile farming area. Okay, so maybe the AUC aren't really like the Hell's Angels seeing as how they're a terrorist group and infamous for all those ransom-kidnappings and massacres. And the Hell Angels are more of a biker gang. That's not important, what is is that I was able to make a music history analogy. Go me.

In another lifetime and in another place, specifically the slums of Rio de Janiero or Colombia, I think I would be an errand boy for Scarface. Carry that kilo to the helicopter port? Done. Clean up the palace by sweeping away old bullet shells? Done. My justification? Lula de Silva and Evo Morales had to start somewhere and you can always say you grew up and beyond the drug life. Plus, as President, you get a sash. That's reason enough to hold a coup. The only other winner of any election I've ever seen who got to wear a sash is a beauty queen.

No comments: